Sunday 31 May 2009

Freedom of Speech is fast wearing thin

I love how The Times headed this newspaper article: "BBC offers apology to Muslim Council of Britain over guest's remarks".

They conveniently forget one tiny, insignificant fact. The Muslim Council of Britain not only received a verbal apology - but a financial one, to the tune of £30,000 (all license-fee payers' money, of course).

Whilst I have few objections to an apology being made to a bunch of people for whom the truth hurts, I don't think I'm unjustified in objecting to my money being part of a tremendous sum in the middle of a recession just to appease this group of people.

So, to whose heinous remarks do we owe this rather loving token of generosity? One Charles Moore (former editor of the Daily Telegraph), claiming on Question Time that he had asked the MCB several times if they would condemn the kidnapping and killing of British soldiers in Iraq, but won't.

GASPS

The awful man telling the truth on television! What does he think this is, a democracy? Anyone would think he was on a programme of political debate...

I have two points to make on this. The first is that Moore further claimed that this attitude is in compliance with Muslim doctrine - which is true. "Let those fight in the way of Allah who sell the life of this world for the other. Whoso fighteth in the way of Allah, be he slain or be he victorious, on him We shall bestow a vast reward." (Qu'ran 4:74).

Naughty me, telling the truth about Islam. Tut tut. Better put my hand in my wallet.

The second is that, seeing as controversial opinions are now not allowed in debates - I must hold my hands up and admit my guilt. I once claimed in a debate that undergoing an abortion is tantamount to murder (with only a few exceptional cases). Will £5,000 suffice for the pro-abortionists? And I am strongly opposed to vivisection - is £10,000 sufficient to appease the organisation VARE (Victims of Animal Rights extremism)? And I am very much in support of the smoking ban in public places, as I have suggested in debates. Perhaps £20,000 is a reasonable sum to substantiate my apology, to be distributed amongst smokers worldwide?

It seems that one cannot escape the ongoing ludicrous escapades of the government and larger organisations on a railroad whose destination is the total cessation of liberty of speech, action - even thought, eventually.

It's actually quite disturbing...

No comments: